This vegan creamy tomato pasta is perfect for an easy and healthy weeknight dinner, lunch, or meal prep, and comes together in under 30 minutes. Made with tomatoes, avocado, and nutritional yeast, this pasta is filling, hearty, rich, and loaded with nutrients!
Why you’ll love this recipe
- This recipe is quick and easy to make
- Perfect for meal prep, freeze this sauce and use whenever you like
- Vegan, dairy free and can be made gluten free (use any pasta you like)
- Adds some hidden nutrients, healthy fats, and protein to your meal
What is this vegan creamy tomato pasta made with?
Is there anything better than a cozy homemade pasta sauce for dinner? I honestly love a good creamy pasta sauce, but what I love most about this recipe is that it’s both creamy AND dairy free, and isn’t this the best of both worlds?
This cozy and hearty vegan creamy tomato pasta is made healthier than a traditional creamy sauce with avocado and nutritional yeast. On one hand, avocado adds loads of nutrients and healthy fats. On the other hand, nutritional yeast, which is also gluten, soy, and sugar free, adds in a ton of protein, vitamins, and minerals. Plus, it helps with heart health and supports your immune system.
Ingredients you’ll need
- Olive oil – to sauté onions and garlic.
- Onions – for a tasty sauce.
- Garlic – use fresh minced garlic, no powdered garlic.
- Canned tomatoes – make sure to use a good quality can of tomatoes, this will make a difference.
- Tomato paste – for a tasty sauce.
- Avocado – this is how to make this vegan creamy sauce.
- Nutritional yeast – this adds a cheesy taste.
- Pasta water – this is added to the blender together with the sauce, avocado, and nutritional yeast, to help thin out the sauce.
- Chili flakes – for a little bit of spice (optional).
- Salt and pepper – to season.
- Pasta of choice – you can use whatever pasta you like.
How to make vegan creamy tomato pasta
Start by sauteing the onions and garlic in a pan with some olive oil. Then, add in the canned tomatoes, tomato paste, chili flakes, salt, and pepper. Stir and let simmer for about 7-10 minutes.
In the meantime, cook the pasta, and reserve some pasta water.
Add the sauce to a food processor with the avocado, nutritional yeast, and pasta water to thin the sauce. Blend until smooth and creamy.
Add the sauce back to your pan or pot and add the pasta. Mix and cook for a couple of minutes.
Serve this vegan creamy tomato pasta on its own or top it off with some vegan parmesan, additional chili flakes, or some fresh basil.
Do I have to use avocado?
Avocado is what makes this sauce super creamy. If for any reason you don’t want to add the avocado, you can use ½ cup coconut cream or ½ cup of raw cashews. For the cashews make sure to use raw cashews and not roasted or salted. Soak the cashews in a bowl of hot water for 1 hour (this will help soften them and make it easier to blend), then drain. Blend them in together with the tomato sauce until smooth and creamy.
How to store
Vegan creamy tomato pasta: store leftover pasta in the fridge for up to three days. Reheat it on the stovetop or in the microwave. If the pasta is too dry, add a splash of water.
Vegan creamy tomato sauce: store leftover sauce in an air-tight container in the fridge for up to five days, or in the freezer for up to three months.
For more pasta recipes
Make sure to tag me @cravebysaldemar on Instagram if you make this vegan creamy tomato pasta. To pin this recipe and save it for later, you can use the button on the recipe card, the buttons above or below this post, or on any of the photos above.Print