This spicy rigatoni alla vodka is by far one of my favorite creamy pasta sauce. It’s authentic, delicious, AND is perfect for a comforting simple Sunday dinner, meal prep, or a gathering with friends. It’s very easy to make, done in under 30 minutes and can be made with your favorite type of pasta!
Delicious and easy spicy rigatoni alla vodka
Is there anything better than a comforting homemade pasta dish? I love making this recipe and even though it’s not vegan or dairy-free, I like to enjoy it occasionally. It’s all part of having a healthy relationship with food and enjoying recipes as they are.
You’ll be surprised as to how easy it is to make this spicy rigatoni alla vodka. It’s done with a short list of ingredients, minimal prep, AND quick to make. It checks all the boxes. Plus, if you feel like it, you can always make extra sauce and freeze it for later meals. Perfect for meal prep and quick easy dinners.
I like to use rigatoni, but you can use whatever you have on hand! Feel free to make this pasta gluten free if needed.
Ingredients you’ll need
- Rigatoni – or whatever pasta you have on hand.
- Olive oil – to sauté the onions and garlic.
- Onion – yellow or red onion works perfectly.
- Garlic – fresh minced garlic!
- Chili flakes – for a spicy taste.
- Vodka – to balance out the tomatoes and cream. The alcohol will cook off and evaporate, you won’t even taste it.
- Canned tomatoes – canned crushed tomatoes or jarred tomatoes will work.
- Cream – for a rich creamy sauce.
- Salt and pepper – to taste.
- Parmesan cheese – to garnish.
How to make spicy rigatoni alla vodka
First, heat some olive oil in a pan, and sauté the onions and the garlic, for 5-7 minutes until the onions are translucent and the garlic is fragrant.
Over medium heat, pour in the vodka and let it cook off, and evaporate, about 2 minutes. Stir in the canned tomatoes, chili flakes, salt, and pepper, and reduce the heat to a simmer, and let cook, stirring occasionally, for about 10-15 minutes. In the meantime, bring a large pot of salted water to a boil and cook pasta according to package directions.
Take ½ cup of pasta water and add it to the sauce (this will help thicken the sauce). Next, add cream and stir for about 1 minute, until the sauce has turned a pinkish color.
Drain pasta and pour it into the saucepan. Stir together for a couple of minutes until the sauce thickens around the rigatoni. Serve the pasta on its own or topped with parmesan cheese or extra chili flakes.
How to store
Spicy rigatoni alla vodka: store any leftover pasta in the fridge in an airtight container for up to three days. Reheat it on the stovetop or in the microwave. Add a splash of water if the pasta is too thick.
Vodka sauce: store leftover vodka sauce in the freezer in an airtight container for up to three months. Defrost in the microwave or on the countertop.
More pasta recipes to try
· Ultra Creamy Vegan Tomato Sauce Pasta
· Rich Amatriciana Sauce with Prosciutto
Make sure to tag me @cravebysaldemar on Instagram if you make this spicy rigatoni alla vodka. To pin this recipe and save it for later, you can use the button on the recipe card, the buttons above or below this post, or on any of the photos above.
If you tried this spicy rigatoni alla vodka let me know how you liked it by leaving a comment/rating below! Be sure to follow along on Pinterest and Instagram for more delicious recipes!Print
Spicy Rigatoni alla Vodka
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 4 servings 1x
This delicious creamy vodka pasta is perfect for a comforting simple dinner and made in under 30 minutes!
- 250 g pasta of choice, gluten free if needed
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3–4 garlic cloves, thinly sliced or minced
- 1 tsp chili flakes
- 1/3 cup vodka
- 1 (15 oz) can crushed tomatoes
- 1/2 cup pasta water
- 1/3 cup heavy cream
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Chili flakes
- In a pan, heat the olive oil over medium heat and sauté the onions and the garlic, for 5-7 minutes until the onions are translucent and the garlic is fragrant.
- Pour in the vodka and let it cook off and evaporate, about 2 minutes. Stir in the canned tomatoes, chili flakes, salt, and pepper. Reduce heat to a simmer, and let cook, stirring often, for about 10-15 minutes.
- In the meantime, bring a large pot of salted water to a boil and cook pasta according to package directions.
- Take some pasta water and add it to the sauce. Add the cream and stir for about 1 minute, until the sauce has turned a pinkish color.
- Drain the pasta and add it into the saucepan. Stir together for a couple of minutes until the sauce thickens around the pasta.
- Serve the pasta on its own or topped with parmesan cheese or extra chili flakes.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
Leave a Reply