If you are looking for a simple, healthy low-carb alternative to pizza, then look no further! Made with only six ingredients, these nutritious eggplant pizza bites are tasty, healthy, satisfying, AND perfect for a cozy weeknight dinner or snack. This recipe is vegetarian, gluten-free, and low-carb.
Ingredients you’ll need
- Eggplant – look for a large, round eggplant for this recipe so all your pizza bites come out to be an even size.
- Marinara sauce – Any type will work. Natural store-bought sauce works great unless you have homemade marinara or pizza sauce.
- Cheese – I have tried this recipe with both fresh mozzarella and shredded mozzarella, and I must say I like shredded mozzarella just slightly better because it feels closer to regular pizza to me. Feel free to choose your favorite or the one you have at hand.
- Basil leaves – A handful of basil leaves to garnish and for flavor.
- Olive oil – to taste.
- Salt and pepper – to taste.
- Chili flakes – optional, to taste.
Optional toppings – make your own eggplant pizza bites
Make this eggplant pizza bites your own by adding some of these optional toppings:
- Veggies: Baby spinach, mushrooms, bell peppers, zucchini, onions, cherry tomatoes, arugula
- Meat: prosciutto, turkey ham
- Extras: olives, capers
Why you’ll love this recipe
- This recipe is naturally vegetarian, gluten-free, low-carb, and comes together in under 30 minutes
- It’s healthy and low-carb light and healthy – this recipe is packed with healthy fats and fiber from the avocado
- Made with eggplant instead of pizza dough – this recipe is grain-free, nutritious, and simple.
- Make this recipe your own – add or change any toppings to make this eggplant pizza bites your own!
My top tips for eggplant pizza bites
- Choose the right eggplant – There are a couple of things to look out for when selecting a good eggplant. First, a good eggplant should be heavy for its size and should feel dense. The skin should be shiny, tight, and unblemished, and its stem should be green. I like to give the eggplant a gentle squeeze to check if it has any soft spots or any dents, the perfect eggplant should be firm.
- Slice your eggplant the right size – the size of each slice matters. Make sure to slice it about ¼ inch thick. When the eggplant cooks in the oven it will become thinner so don’t worry if it looks a bit chunky when cutting it raw.
- Salt your eggplant before roasting – for a more flavorful dish. The salt helps break down the eggplant’s spongy texture, giving the eggplant pizza bites a tender bite. Here’s how: once you have sliced your eggplant into rounds, place them into a lined baking sheet and sprinkle some salt over them. Allow them to sit for 10 minutes to draw the water out.
- For a healthier meal, don’t peel the eggplant – The eggplant’s skin is loaded with antioxidants, vitamins, and minerals – incredibly nutritious!
Make sure to tag me @cravebysaldemar on Instagram if you make these mini eggplant pizza bites. To pin this recipe and save it for later, you can use the button on the recipe card, the buttons above or below this post, or on any of the photos above.Print