Say hello to the BEST vegan and gluten free chocolate chunk cookies. If you are trying to convince someone that vegan and gluten free desserts are just as good as regular desserts, this is the dessert to make! These cookies are extra soft and chewy, they’re quick and easy to make, and they taste like they’re straight from a bakery!
What makes these the best chocolate chunk cookies
- Texture – these cookies are so soft, with a chewy and slightly gooey center. They’re also buttery with a rich flavor, filled with big chunks of chocolate.
- Easy – they’re super easy to make. All you do is combine ingredients, mix by hand, chill, and bake.
- Longevity – because of how soft and buttery these cookies are, they retain most of their soft and chewy texture for days – if they make it that long!
- Healthy – these cookies are naturally vegan, gluten free, and dairy free, which makes them “healthier” and perfect to fit most diets.
Ingredients & substitutions
Almond flour – these gluten free chocolate chunk cookies are made with almond flour instead of regular flour. For this recipe, I also like using almond flour because it is low in carbs, high in protein, contains healthy fats and vitamin E.
Cane sugar – cane sugar or brown sugar.
Nut butter – I usually use peanut butter because I love it and it’s the easiest nut butter to find. You can also use almond butter, or any other nut or seed butter you’d like.
Maple syrup – this acts as the binder for these cookies, just like eggs would.
Chia seeds – this is an optional addition. Chia seeds are known to be a good source of fiber, omega-3 fatty acids, good quality protein, essential minerals, and antioxidants. They may also improve digestive health, and risk for diabetes and heart disease.
Baking powder – to help the cookies rise.
Apple sauce – apple sauce plays two roles: on one hand, it acts as a binder, just like eggs do. On the other hand, because of its water content, apple sauce will make these cookies soft and moist, keeping them fresh longer.
Vanilla extract – for flavor.
Dark chocolate – make sure to use a dark chocolate bar that is completely dairy free. You can also use dairy free chocolate chips.
Sea salt – to top.
How to make life-changing chocolate chunk cookies
In a medium bowl, mix by hand (or with the help of a wooden spoon) all ingredients except the dark chocolate and sea salt.
Refrigerate dough for 30 minutes.
Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Use a spoon to dollop the dough out, roll the dough in your palms, and place it on the baking sheet.
Bake at 350F for 10-12 minutes, or until starting to brown. Add chocolate chunks on top of each cookie. Bake for 1 more minute.
Carefully, place baked cookies on a cooling rack.
- Use creamy peanut butter for a classic peanut butter texture. Natural nut butter, which is made with just nuts and has a pool of oil sitting on top, will be much harder to mix.
- Use almond flour, not almond meal. Almond flour is more finely ground and helps keep these cookies light in texture.
- I like to make these chocolate chunk cookies bite-size to eat a healthy treat every now and then during my day – plus, it’s also the perfect snack to go along with a cup of coffee or tea.
How to store chocolate chunk cookies
Counter: store these cookies in an air-tight container for up to five days.
Freezer: to freeze the dough, let it chill in the fridge, and then wrap in plastic wrap and foil for up to one month. Defrost on the countertop and bake.
For more gluten free dessert recipes, check out:
Make sure to tag me @cravebysaldemar on Instagram if you make these life-changing chocolate chunk cookies. To pin this recipe and save it for later, you can use the button on the recipe card, the buttons above or below this post, or on any of the photos above.
If you tried these life-changing chocolate chunk cookies let me know how you liked it by leaving a comment/rating below! Be sure to follow along on Pinterest and Instagram for more delicious recipes!Print
Life-changing Chocolate Chunk Cookies (Vegan & Gluten Free)
- Total Time: 52 minutes
- Yield: 25 bite-size cookies 1x
These chocolate chunk cookies are super soft, chewy and gooey. They are also naturally vegan and gluten free.
- 2 1/2 cups almond flour
- 1 cup creamy peanut butter (can sub for any nut butter)
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 tbsp chia seeds
- 1 tbsp unsweetened apple sauce
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 dark chocolate bar (about half a bar), cut into chunks
- Sea salt
- In a medium bowl, mix the almond flour, peanut butter, maple syrup, sugar, chia seeds, apple sauce, vanilla extract, and baking powder. You can mix by hand or use a wooden spoon.
- Place the dough in the refrigerator for 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 350F, and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Use a spoon to dollop the dough out, roll the dough in your palms and place it on the baking sheet.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes, or until starting to brown. Remove the cookies from the oven, and top the cookies with a chocolate chunk. Bake for one more minute.
- Transfer the cookies to a cooling rack and let them cool at room temperature.
- Top with sea salt. Enjoy!
- Use creamy peanut butter instead of a natural peanut butter. A creamy peanut butter will make it easier to mix the dough.
- Use almond flour, not almond meal. Almond flour is finely grounded, which makes the cookie have a lighter texture.
- Prep Time: 40 minutes
- Cook Time: 12 minutes
Leave a Reply