If you are looking for a healthy dessert recipe and a way to add some “hidden” veggies, then look no further! This has to be the best lemon zucchini loaf recipe EVER. It is incredibly moist, tangy, soft, easy to make, gluten free, AND dairy free! You would never know it is made with zucchini, and it only takes only 15 minutes to prep.
Why you will love this recipe
- This recipe is gluten free and dairy free
- The zucchini keeps this loaf soft and moist, helps balance the sweetness, plus it also adds a serving of veggies
- No need for a fancy mixer, just use a big bowl and a spoon to mix
How to make the best lemon zucchini loaf
In a medium bowl, stir the gluten free flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, vanilla extract, and chia seeds.
Then in a separate and large bowl, mix the sugar and lemon zest. Since the sugar is coarse, rubbing the sugar with the lemon zest will help release so much of the lemon flavor. Through this process, you’re not only loosening the lemon zest but also flavoring the sugar to create a richer lemon loaf!
Add into the rubbed sugar and lemon zest: canola oil, greek yogurt, eggs, lemon juice, and the grated zucchini. Mix, and then pour the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients and mix to combine.
Transfer the batter into an 8×4 inch loaf pan.
Bake at 350 F for 40-45 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean. From here, you can either make the glaze, or enjoy it as is, but make sure to let the bread cook for about 30 minutes before cutting it.
Frequently asked questions
- How many zucchinis do I need for 1 cup grated? You’ll need about half a large zucchini.
- How do I grate zucchini? Shred the zucchini using a box grater. Then, use the medium-sized grate (like the one you would use to grate cheese).
- Will this loaf taste like zucchini? I promise this will NOT taste like zucchini. I love this recipe so much because the zucchini is what makes this loaf so soft and moist. This lemon zucchini loaf tastes like what you flavor it with. In this case, lemon.
- Do I need to squeeze the water from the zucchini? No, you do not need to squeeze the water from the zucchini, as it adds to the moistness of the bread.
- Can I make this recipe into muffins? To make this recipe into muffins, bake at 350 F for 20-25 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.
How to store lemon zucchini loaf
Counter: store this lemon zucchini loaf in an air-tight container on the counter for up to five days.
Fridge: store it for up to a week.
Freezer: let them chill in the fridge, and then wrap in plastic wrap and foil for up to one month.
More dessert brunch recipes to try
Make sure to tag me @cravebysaldemar on Instagram if you make this lemon zucchini loaf. To pin this recipe and save it for later, you can use the button on the recipe card, the buttons above or below this post, or on any of the photos above.
If you tried this lemon zucchini loaf let me know how you liked it by leaving a comment/rating below! Be sure to follow along on Pinterest and Instagram for more delicious recipes!Print
Lemon Zucchini Loaf (Gluten Free & Dairy Free)
- Total Time: 1 hour
- Yield: 1 loaf 1x
This has to be the best lemon zucchini loaf recipe EVER. It is so easy to make, requires minimal equipment, and it is super healthy. It is perfectly moist, soft, fluffy, and a crowd pleaser!
For the lemon zucchini loaf:
- 1 3/4 cups gluten free flour
- 1 cup grated zucchini
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 1/4 cup greek yogurt (no lactose)
- 2 large eggs
- 3 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 tbsp zest (zest of one large lemon)
- 1 tbsp chia seeds
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
For the lemon glaze:
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 4 tsp fresh lemon juice
- Extra lemon zest for sprinkling (optional)
- Preheat your oven to 350 F and line an 8×4 inch loaf pan with parchment paper. Make sure the paper sticks up and over the sides so it is easier to lift once baked.
- In a bowl, mix dry ingredients: gluten free flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, vanilla extract, and chia seeds.
- In a large bowl, start by rubbing sugar and lemon zest. Rub them together to bring out the lemon flavor. Once combined, whisk in oil, yogurt, eggs, lemon juice, and grated zucchini.
- Fold in the dry ingredients, and mix to combine.
- Pour into loaf pan and bake for 40-45 minutes, or until a toothpick in the center comes out clean with a few moist crumbs.
- While the lemon zucchini loaf cools, prepare the glaze.
- Whisk together the powdered sugar and lemon juice until smooth (no lumps).
- When the loaf is still a little warm, drizzle the lemon glaze onto it and garnish with extra lemon zest (optional).
To shred the zucchini, use a box grater and use the medium-sized grater.
Use a big bowl and a spoon to mix the batter.
Store the loaves in an air-tight container on the counter for up to five days. To freeze, chill the loaves in the fridge, and then wrap in plastic wrap and foil for up to one month.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
Leave a Reply