This healthy Chipotle bowl at home is the copycat of Chipotle’s chicken burrito bowl. It is a healthy, delicious, and flavorful option for a super tasty dinner as well as a perfect option to satisfy Chipotle cravings. Either way, it will surely become a favorite!
What is in a burrito bowl?
A burrito bowl is made with a layer of rice, a layer of beans, and on top your choice of protein (can sub tofu for vegan option), fajita veggies (sautéed green or red peppers, onions, and corn), and optional toppings (guac, salsa, or cilantro). Because of its ingredients, it is naturally rich in protein and an easy and healthy gluten-free option for a meal.
Why you’ll love this recipe
- This recipe is completely gluten-free, dairy-free, and can be made vegan.
- This bowl is just as good as the Chipotle burrito bowl (if not better) but with much less sodium and better-quality ingredients.
- This recipe is high in protein, rich in nutrients, and super flavorful. Oh, and did I mention it is great for meal prep? It can be made beforehand and stored in the fridge for up to 3 days.
How to make a healthy Chipotle bowl at home
Why go to chipotle when you can make your own chipotle chicken burrito bowl at home? A quick chicken marinade is what this recipe needs for it to become a rich in flavor option for a perfect lunch or dinner.
For the veggies
Heat some extra-virgin olive oil in a pan. When the oil is hot add in the onions and green or red bell peppers. It is important to stir frequently so the veggies won’t burn or stick to the bottom of the pan. Cook until seared and golden, set the onions and peppers aside and add in the canned corn kernels and keep stirring.
For the chicken
In a mixing bowl add ground cumin, paprika, garlic, chipotle sauce, and olive oil. Blend together. Season the chicken with salt and pepper. Add the seasoned chicken to the bowl with the marinade, and let it rest for at least 20 minutes.
Heat some extra-virgin olive oil in the same pan as the veggies and let the chicken cook until cooked through and lightly charred.
Tips for making this healthy Chipotle bowl at home perfectly
- The marinade of the chicken is the most important step to ensure great taste in this burrito bowl.
- Keep stirring the veggies to prevent them from burning or sticking to the bottom of the pan.
- Store leftovers in the fridge in an air-tight container for up to three days.
Make sure to tag me @cravebysaldemar on Instagram if you make this healthy Chipotle bowl at home. To pin this recipe and save it for later, you can use the button on the recipe card, the buttons above or below this post, or on any of the photos above.
If you tried this healthy Chipotle bowl at home let me know how you liked it by leaving a comment/rating below! Be sure to follow along on Pinterest and Instagram for more delicious recipes!Print
Healthy Chipotle Bowl at Home
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 2 servings 1x
- 1 cup white rice, cooked
- 1 cup black beans
- 1 lb skinless chicken breast, sliced
- 1 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp water
- 3 tbsp chipotle sauce
- 2 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
- 1 large red onion, sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, sliced
- 1/2 cup of canned corn kernels
- Cilantro leaves
- In a medium bowl add the olive oil, water, chipotle sauce, paprika, garlic, and cumin. Mix together.
- Season chicken with salt and pepper.
- Add the chicken to the bowl with the marinade and mix until evenly coated. Set aside.
- In the meantime, heat some olive oil in a medium pan over medium heat. When oil is hot, add the onions, red peppers, and corn kernels. Stir until seared, softened, and charred. Set veggies aside.
- In the same pan, add some more olive oil. Add the marinated chicken and cook until cooked through and lightly charred.
- In a bowl arrange equal parts of rice and beans, add the veggies, and chicken. Top it off with your favorite toppings such as cilantro, crumbled queso, guac or salsa.
Swap the chicken for your favorite vegan substitute to make it vegan friendly.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
Leave a Reply