This gluten free apple crisp is a must-make! It’s loaded with a base layer of perfectly soft and juicy apples, topped off with a crispy crumble made from gluten free old-fashioned rolled oats, quick oats, and almond flour. Perfect for a weekend gathering with friends or a cozy night at home! It’s all done in one bowl, and takes about 15 minutes to put together. This recipe is naturally vegan, gluten free, and refined sugar free.
Ingredients and substitutions
- Apples – when choosing apples for apple crisp make sure to get a kind that’s firm and crisp. It’s important to choose the right kind to ensure that the apples keep their structure under heat.
- Coconut sugar – this type of sugar has a lower glycemic index than regular sugar, so it won’t leave you feeling down and tired afterward. You can substitute for brown sugar.
- Maple syrup – for sweetness and to bind everything together
- Cornstarch – helps bind the apple ingredients together. You can substitute this for arrowroot starch.
- Cinnamon – essential for apple crisp, for flavor
- Vanilla extract – for flavor
- Lemon juice – use fresh lemon for some acidity
- Rolled oats – old fashioned rolled oats provide great texture. To make this gluten free, make sure to use certified gluten free.
- Quick oats – quick oats help the crisp absorb all the flavor. To make this gluten free, make sure to use certified gluten free.
- Almond flour – perfect to give this crisp some added protein, plus the almond flour holds the crisp together. You can substitute for any type of flour you like.
- Salt – to balance the flavor
- Vegan butter – cold and cubed. You can also use regular butter.
How to make gluten free apple crisp
There are two components in this recipe: the apple filling, and the crisp.
Step 1 – apple filling
Start by prepping the apples. Peel, core, and slice them very thinly – about 1/8-inch slices. Toss them into a large bowl.
Add the coconut sugar, maple syrup, cornstarch, cinnamon, vanilla extract, and lemon juice, and use your hands to mix everything up until the apples are evenly coated.
Grease your 8×8 inch baking dish and layer the apples on the bottom of your dish in an even layer.
Step 2 – crisp
In the same bowl you mixed the apples in, prepare the gluten free crisp. Whisk together the oats, almond flour, coconut sugar, cinnamon, and salt. Add in the cold cubed butter and use your fingers to work the butter into the dry ingredients. It may take a couple of minutes for the dry ingredients to absorb the butter.
Then, using your hands or a big spoon, sprinkle the crisp mixture evenly on the apple filling.
Step 3 – bake
Place in the oven and bake at 350 F for 35-40 minutes. Your gluten free apple crisp is ready when the apple juices start bubbling on the edges and the crisp is golden.
How to store
Fridge: store any leftover gluten free apple crisp in the fridge in an airtight container for up to five days. Can be enjoyed cold, directly from the fridge, or warm. Reheat it in the microwave.
More delicious gluten free desserts to try
- Bakery style banana bread (GF + RSF)
- Lemon zucchini loaf (GF + DF)
- Life-changing chocolate chunk cookies (GF + V)
- Easy chocolate chip banana oatmeal cookies (GF + V)
Make sure to tag me @cravebysaldemar on Instagram if you make this gluten free apple crisp. To pin this recipe and save it for later, you can use the button on the recipe card, the buttons above or below this post, or on any of the photos above.
If you tried this gluten free apple crisp let me know how you liked it by leaving a comment/rating below! Be sure to follow along on Pinterest and Instagram for more delicious recipes!Print
Gluten Free Apple Crisp
- Total Time: 55 minutes
- Yield: 8–10 servings 1x
This gluten free apple crisp is the perfect dessert for a weekend gathering with friends or a cozy night at home. It’s all done in one bowl, and takes about 15 minutes to put together. This recipe is naturally vegan, gluten free, and refined sugar free.
- 5 apples, peeled, cored, and thinly sliced
- 1/3 cup coconut sugar
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 cup old fashioned rolled oats (certified gluten free)
- 1/2 cup quick oats (certified gluten free)
- 1 cup almond flour
- 1/4 cup coconut sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/3 cup cold vegan butter, cubed
- Dairy free vanilla ice cream
- Chopped pecans
- Dairy free caramel sauce
- Preheat your oven to 350 F / 180 C, and grease or spray your 8×8″ baking dish.
- Prep your apples, by peeling and cutting them into 1/8-inch slices.
- In a large mixing bowl, mix the apples with the rest of the apple ingredients. Use your clean hands to evenly coat the apples.
- Layer the coated apples in your greased baking dish. Set aside.
- In the same bowl you mixed the apples in, whisk together the rolled oats, quick oats, almond flour, sugar, cinnamon, salt, and vanilla. Add the cold cubed butter. Use your clean hands to work the butter into the dry ingredients to form a thick batter, until all dry ingredients have been absorbed.
- Use your hands or a big spoon to evenly top the apples with the crisp mixture.
- Place your baking dish in preheated oven on the middle rack for 35-40 minutes, until apples are bubbling and crisp is golden.
- Remove from oven and let the crisp cool for 15-20 minutes.
- Serve with ice cream, caramel, or chopped pecans. Enjoy!
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 40 minutes
Leave a Reply