Creamy, nutrient-dense vegan butternut squash pasta sauce! Made with just a handful of ingredients, this pasta is healthy and full of flavor. A perfect dinner idea to add to your Winter dinner rotation!
Why you’ll love this recipe
I love this recipe because it’s the ultimate comfort food, while also being simple and nourishing! Sometimes it IS possible to get the best from both worlds! 😊
Once you chop the vegetables, you boil the butternut squash and then sauté it together with the onions and garlic. Let the veggies cool off for a couple of minutes and then add them to your blender. Give it a quick blend until everything is nice and smooth. If it’s not possible to add all the veggies at once, blend in batches.
Sometimes I like to double the recipe and freeze half of the sauce so I can have it ready to enjoy later!
I like to top this pasta with some vegan parmesan cheese and with chili flakes for some added spice. If you’re feeling like having more veggies, you can roast some in the oven and add them later. Some of the veggies I’ve tried, and love are broccoli, zucchini, or eggplant.
This recipe is vegan, but you can also make it gluten free by using gluten free pasta!
- Peel and chop your butternut squash before cooking. This is a time saver as it will cook faster.
- Cook or roast the butternut squash – I like to cook it because it’s faster, but if you have some extra time, you can always cut it in half and roast it at 400 F until it’s tender. Then it will be fairly easy to peel the skin off.
I absolutely love quick and easy dinners like creamy spicy rigatoni alla vodka, mini eggplant pizza bites, or this one.
Make sure to tag me @cravebysaldemar on Instagram if you make this vegan butternut squash pasta sauce. To pin this recipe and save it for later, you can use the button on the recipe card, the buttons above or below this post, or on any of the photos above.
If you tried this vegan butternut squash pasta sauce let me know how you liked it by leaving a comment/rating below! Be sure to follow along on Pinterest and Instagram for more delicious recipes!Print
Creamy Vegan Butternut Squash Pasta Sauce
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 2–4 servings 1x
Creamy, nutrient-dense vegan butternut squash pasta sauce!
- 250 g pasta of choice, gluten free if needed
- 1 butternut squash, peeled and cubed (seeds removed)
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 cup pasta water
- 1/2 cup dairy free milk
- 1/2 cup nutritional yeast
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 tbsp sage (optional)
- In a medium sauce pan, boil the cubed butternut squash until cooked through.
- In a medium pan over medium heat, add the oil and sauté the onion and garlic until translucent and fragrant, about 5-7 minutes. Stir in the cooked butternut squash and keep stirring for about 5 more minutes. Set aside and let cool off.
- In the meantime, bring a large pot of salted water to a boil and cook the pasta according to package directions. Reserve 1/2 cup of pasta water before draining.
- Carefully transfer the butternut squash with the onions and garlic to a blender (blend in batches if needed). Add 1/2 cup of pasta water, milk, and nutritional yeast. Blend until smooth and creamy. Bring the blended sauce back to the pan and add salt and pepper, to taste.
- Transfer pasta to the sauce and toss until evenly coated.
- Serve the pasta and top it off with some sage, red pepper flakes, and/or any veggie of choice.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Cook
- Cuisine: Italian
Keywords: creamy vegan butternut squash pasta, vegan butternut squash pasta, butternut squash pasta sauce recipe
This turned out very well! I didn’t have fresh garlic, so subbed a scant tsp garlic powder. I used a white onion instead of a red one. Hubby, a picky eater, enjoyed his delicious meal!