These chocolate chip banana oatmeal breakfast cookies taste like a warm slice of banana bread, but in cookie form. Made with very few ingredients, these gluten free and naturally vegan cookies are so easy to make and can be enjoyed as a breakfast cookie, afternoon snack, or as a little sweet and healthy treat.
Why you’ll love this recipe
- Texture – these chocolate chip banana oatmeal breakfast cookies are so chewy and soft. They have this sweet banana bread taste made in cookie form, mixed with melty chocolate chips.
- Healthy –These cookies are surprisingly healthy for a cookie: high in vitamins and antioxidants from the banana and high in fiber from the oats. Plus, they are naturally vegan, and made gluten free by using certified gluten free oats.
- Easy – they’re super easy to make. All you do is combine ingredients, mix with a spoon, scoop, and bake.
- Longevity – because of how soft and chewy these cookies are, they can be easily stored in the fridge and will keep fresh and soft for up to four days.
Ingredients you’ll need
Ripe bananas – if you don’t have spotty bananas check in the tips paragraph how to ripen bananas fast for baking. Measure and add the right amount to have a perfectly balanced flavor.
Oats – rolled oats or to make this recipe gluten free make sure to use certified gluten free oats.
Maple syrup – to add some added sweetness.
Biscoff – I love the taste of biscoff, but if you don’t have it at hand or don’t like it feel free to use any nut butter instead
Chocolate chips – I found mini chocolate chips work great for this recipe, but you can also use chocolate chunks.
Vanilla – for flavor.
Salt – optional, to balance the flavors.
Healthy & easy chocolate chip banana oatmeal breakfast cookies
I love to have all the ingredients in these cookies at hand to bake some healthier treats for when I’m craving something sweet. They make for a perfect on-the-go breakfast, as well as a healthy afternoon treat to go with my coffee or a sweet dessert. Plus, they are super easy to make AND done in like 20 minutes. I like to bake a batch on Sundays and have them ready for the week ahead!
My top tips
- These chocolate chip banana oatmeal breakfast cookies will not spread so you don’t have to leave too much space between them, but make sure to press the cookies down with your fingers to give them some shape.
- Line your baking sheet with parchment paper so the cookies won’t stick.
- If you want to make these cookies sugar free leave out the maple syrup, make sure to use sugar free chocolate chips, and swap the biscoff for any nut butter
- To ripen yellow/green bananas at home, use this simple but effective trick that will get you ripe bananas in just 15 minutes:
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper, and preheat your oven to 300 F.
- Place your bananas on the baking sheet and bake for 15 minutes, or until they turn completely dark. They will look completely dark and shiny; this is what we are aiming for.
- Allow the bananas to cool on the baking sheet. Then peel. The bananas will be very soft and moist, they will not look cute, but this is what makes them perfect for baking.
How to store chocolate chip banana oatmeal breakfast cookies
For the baked cookies: store these baked chocolate chip banana oatmeal breakfast cookies in an airtight container in the fridge for up to five days.
For the batter: to freeze the dough, wrap in plastic wrap and foil for up to one month. Defrost on the countertop, scoop, and bake.
For more gluten free desserts, check out:
- Life-changing Chocolate Chunk Cookies (GF + V)
- Bakery Style Banana Bread (GF + RSF)
- Lemon Zucchini Loaf (GF + DF)
Make sure to tag me @cravebysaldemar on Instagram if you make these chocolate chip banana oatmeal breakfast cookies. To pin this recipe and save it for later, you can use the button on the recipe card, the buttons above or below this post, or on any of the photos above.
If you tried these chocolate chip banana oatmeal breakfast cookies let me know how you liked it by leaving a comment/rating below! Be sure to follow along on Pinterest and Instagram for more delicious recipes!Print