This bakery style banana bread is super moist, soft, fluffy, AND full of flavor. It is filled with ripe mashed bananas, gluten free flour, greek yogurt, and spiced up with cinnamon and nutmeg.
What makes this a bakery style banana bread?
I am extra picky when it comes to banana bread (or any other bread to be honest), and I must say I’ve never tasted such a moist and fluffy banana bread like this one before. This bakery style banana bread checks all the boxes: it is super moist, soft, fluffy, and has just the right amount of sweetness… It will literally melt in your mouth.
The natural sweetness of the ripened bananas allows it to be made with less sugar than necessary for a healthier recipe.
The best part is this recipe is made with simple ingredients almost everyone has at home. I love having a fresh loaf at home to have with my afternoon coffee, or when I’m just craving something sweet.
Ingredients and substitutes
- Mashed bananas – this is the star ingredient! If you don’t have spotty bananas check in the following paragraphs how to ripen bananas fast for baking banana bread. Measure and add the right amount to have the perfectly balanced flavor.
- Gluten free flour – for a gluten free banana bread we use gluten free flour. If you like, you can substitute for all-purpose flour.
- Eggs – act as a binder.
- Greek yogurt – this is the secret ingredient to getting this moist and fluffy bakery style banana bread. Greek yogurt has less water content than other yogurts and therefore adds moisture without thinning the batter too much. It is also perfect because it is somewhat sour, so it balances out the sweetness from the bananas and sugar. If you don’t have Greek yogurt at home, you can substitute it for sour cream or plain unsweetened yogurt.
- Softened butter – softened butter is used to get a smooth and moist texture.
- Cinnamon & nutmeg – for flavor.
- Baking soda & baking powder – to rise.
- Coconut sugar – for a sweet banana bread. You can substitute this for brown sugar.
- Milk of choice – I like to use nonfat milk in this recipe.
- Salt – for flavor.
- A yellow banana – top it with a banana to make this a fancy bakery style banana bread.
My top tips for this bakery style banana bread
There are a few things to keep in mind to achieve a bakery style banana bread:
- Measure the bananas – I used 3 medium bananas, but because bananas vary in size, please do measure the mashed bananas to make sure you have the right amount. Don’t forget to mash the bananas very finely to get a flavorful banana bread with no banana chunks.
- Properly measure the flour – measure the gluten free flour by scooping and leveling the flour. To make sure you are using just the right amount of flour, spoon the flour into your measuring cup and level it off with a knife or a flat edge. If you scoop directly from the flour container, you may use too much flour and the bread may turn out dry and dense.
- Mix all ingredients properly – make sure all the ingredients are properly mixed. Don’t worry about overmixing since this recipe is made with gluten free flour.
- Make sure to bake all the way through – this bread is ready when the top is golden and puffed. You can test if the center is already done by using a clean toothpick. If it comes out clean (with a few moisture crumbs) it is done.
- Let the bread cool completely before slicing – fresh from the oven the bread will be too soft for slicing. You might even think it is underbaked. Allowing the bread to cool helps thicken the texture and makes it easier for slicing.
How to ripen bananas fast at home
If you want to bake banana bread, but only have green or yellow bananas, then use this simple and effective trick that will get you ripe bananas in just 15 minutes!
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper, and preheat your oven to 300 F.
- Place your bananas on the baking sheet and bake for 15 minutes, or until they turn completely dark. They will look completely dark and shiny; this is what we are aiming for.
- Allow the bananas to cool on the baking sheet. Then peel. The bananas will be very soft and moist, they will not look cute, but this is what makes them perfect for baking.
How long does it keep?
Store this banana bread in an airtight container in the fridge for up to five days. Reheat in the microwave for 20 – 30 seconds and enjoy.
For more gluten free desserts, check out:
Make sure to tag me @cravebysaldemar on Instagram if you make this bakery style banana bread. To pin this recipe and save it for later, you can use the button on the recipe card, the buttons above or below this post, or on any of the photos above.Print