This is without a doubt your new favorite pizza dough recipe and for several reasons. This authentic Neapolitan pizza dough is easy to make, healthy, and perfect for a delicious dinner! Top it with fresh tomato sauce, fresh mozzarella cheese, and basil leaves, or with your favorite toppings.
Why you will love this recipe
- Authentic Neapolitan pizza dough is thin, soft, pillowy, and has a chewy crust
- Compared to fast food pizzas, this traditional Neapolitan pizza dough is quite healthy
- Easier than you think!
What is Neapolitan pizza?
Pizza originated in Naples, Italy, and the authentic Neapolitan pizza is believed to be the original Italian pizza. What makes this pizza different is its thin crust at the base and dough that puffs up around the sides. This dough is made with only five ingredients: flour (all-purpose and 00), yeast, olive oil, water, and salt.
Tips to making this recipe perfectly
- Use 00 flour: this is the secret ingredient to making traditional Italian pizza dough, this is what makes Italian pizza so good. 00 flour is the traditional flour to making Italian pizza for a number of reasons: it is perfect for baking, and it is different from other flours because 1. It is finely ground and 2. It has a lower gluten content.
- Weigh the ingredients: measuring volume (cups and tablespoons) will also work, but to get the best results, weigh the ingredients.
- Be patient with the dough: fermentation time can vary from 3 to 20 hours at room temperature, the more time you wait the better the texture of the dough.
Step-by-step instructions to making authentic Neapolitan pizza dough
Start by measuring all the ingredients. In a bowl mix the flours with the salt. In a separate bowl stir the lukewarm water, yeast, and olive oil.
Blend the water, yeast, and olive oil into the flour mixture and mix with one hand until ingredients are combined. (Do not over-mix. Over-mixing will develop gluten strands in the flour, creating a heavier dough.) Let the mixture rest for 20 minutes.
Knead the dough once again until the texture is smooth. Separate it in two. Roll each into a ball. Place both balls in a large enough plate (or each in a plate). To avoid sticking, sprinkle some flour on the bottom of the plate, and cover with plastic wrap to begin fermentation.
After rising, carefully remove the dough from the plate. Place it on a flat surface with enough flour so the dough won’t stick. Form the crust by using your fingers and then stretch it.
Important: Add flour to your dough whenever needed to make sure there are no sticky parts.
Add your favorite toppings and bake!
Make sure to tag me @cravebysaldemar on Instagram if you make this authentic Neapolitan pizza dough. To pin this recipe and save it for later, you can use the button on the recipe card, the buttons above or below this post, or on any of the photos above.
If you tried this authentic Neapolitan pizza dough let me know how you liked it by leaving a comment/rating below! Be sure to follow along on Pinterest and Instagram for more delicious recipes!Print
Authentic Neapolitan Pizza Dough
- Total Time: 20 minutes + 3 hours (or more for rising)
- Yield: two 12-inch pizzas 1x
This authentic Neapolitan pizza dough, made with only five ingredients, is easy to make, healthy, and perfect for a delicious dinner! Top it with fresh tomato sauce, fresh mozzarella cheese, and basil leaves, or with your favorite toppings.
- 210 grams (1 1/2 cup) 00 flour
- 95 grams (3/4 cup) all-purpose flour
- 8 grams (1 tsp) fine sea salt
- 6 grams (1 tsp) extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 grams (3/4 tsp) active dry yeast
- In a medium mixing bowl mix flours and salt. In a separate bowl stir the lukewarm water, yeast, and olive oil.
- Pour the liquid mixture into the flour mixture.
- Knead with one hand JUST until well combined. Set aside and let it rest for 15 minutes.
- Knead rested dough until the dough is soft and fluffy. Cut into two equal pieces and shape each into a ball.
- Place both dough balls into a floured surface and cover with plastic wrap.
- Let the dough balls rise for 3 to 24 hours, until dough is ready.
- With a spatula, gently remove the dough ball from the floured surface. Use extra flour if needed to avoid it from sticking.
To make pizza:
- Place each dough ball into a floured surface.
- Apply extra flour to the bottom of the dough and a little to the top.
- Use your fingers to form the crust.
- To shape the pizza, use your hands and move the dough back and forth in a circular motion.
- Top the pizza and bake.
Lukewarm water is neither hot nor cold water. It is usually warm when run against your own skin.
Do use more flour if needed to avoid it from sticking.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
Leave a Reply